New Project VOBs
ClearCase Best Practices
To make the triggers more generic an to be able to have them work in a
UNIX/Windows integrated environment we need a site preparation step
where we define the site specific settings. Site preparation modifies
the triggers setting execution paths and defines other site specific
settings. It will create a directory structure based on your answers
and put a copy of the modified triggers in the new location.
To run site Prep_prep you need a full perl installation. For UNIX you
can get the latest perl at:
Perl Ports for NT
platform you need to have
ActiveState Perl installed. Everything else has been written to
work with the plain Jane version of Perl installed with ClearCase.
Preparing Process Software For Use
- Login in as CM Administrator.
- Unpack the archive file
- Import tree into a VOB
- Insure files with execute permission are still executable
- To deploy process software
- Set a view
- Change to directory in VOB where software was stored
- Run perl Site_prep.pl...
Enter UNIX path to process area, [/home/ClearCase/process]:
Enter Windows path to process area, [//oak/ClearCase/process]:
Enter mail server address, [mail.yourcompany.com]:
Enter CM administrators email address, [firstname.lastname@example.org]:
Enter primary development group, [developer]:
The process software is now deployed and ready for use. Follow the link
below to VOB and ClearCase System Setups where the instructions are for
putting the process software into active use.
Other software in the utilities directory can be copied to a suitable
location for use. One suggestion is to create a bin directory under the
ClearCase process directory just created by Site_prep and copy the
utilities you find useful to this directory.
The directory structure created by the Site_prep.pl utility is shown
below. All of the structure under the process limb is taken from the
VOB CM other than the checkin_logs directory which it creates.
Site_prep.pl does not create the ClearCase release area, this is done
with by the ClearCase product installs.
ClearCase Process Software
Software has been test with ClearCase release 4.1 on Solaris 2.6 and NT
4.0 platforms. This code has also been deployed on HP 11.0 systems.
Release 4.0 is now available, May 27, 2000:
Change history for ClearCase process extensions.
VERSION 4.1 - September 4, 2000
- Modified post_mkelem_trig to call ChangeMode function and fixed
logic error for string compare.
- Added new function ChangeMode.pl for setting modes on files.
- Modified pre_ln_trig.bat to allow file renaming and to prevent
anyone except the VOB owner from creating hard links.
- Changed GetVobOwner.pl, GetVobGroup.pl, and IsVobOwner.pl to fix
problems caused by changes to the output of the describe VOB
command. What business value did this add to the product. These
product changes should have been caught in release 4.0.
- Added what utility for displaying version strings with a what
prefix, @(#). This code came from Free BSD and was modified to
compile and run on Solaris, Linux, and Windows. As part of adding
this utility there is a small make file process demonstrating how
to build software for multiple platforms.
- Enhanced the set_version.bat utility to create a temporary file
for version identification and to compare it with an existing
version file if it exists. If the two files are the same the
temporary file is removed. This change was made to eliminate
unneeded rebuilding in make processes.
VERSION 4.0 - June 15, 2000
- Updated tree drawings to more accurately reflect what Site_prep
creates and split the ClearCase release area diagram into a
separate drawing and moved it to the ClearCase setup
- Commented out the checkin_log directory and added a commented out
section for creating a bin directory in Site_prep. Also added
commented out lines for setting NT permissions in the WinPerm
script. Added binmode to Site_prep to keep PC EOL characters out
- Moved reports directory into utilities and modified Site_prep
to not deploy this directory. The utilities directory provides
examples of what can be done, but in general the perl scripts
will require site specific modifications.
- Added missing header file for makedepend program for an NT
platform and a makefile to build the program.
- Added a new report, CodeReview, which list version creations for a
user on a given branch filtering out the zero versions, and
versions created as the result of a merge out from the main branch
or a release integration branch.
- Changed the daily build view and label creation utility, DBLabel,
to do all labeling from the NT side and then rsh the UNIX build so
the NT and UNIX builds are done concurrently.
- Changed daily build clean up process, IsItTime, to only remove a
view if it is stored on the host where the utility is running.
Views were intermittently getting removed cleanly.
- Changed the branch naming check to Rationals lower case naming
convention. Left in a more interesting customer sites patch
branch name testing example commented out.
- Changed the label naming check to Rationals upper case naming
- Changed all com scripts that used the "-vob VobTag" syntax to
use "vob:VobTag" as the former syntax has been obsoleted in
version v4.0 of ClearCase.
- Fixed Site_prep.bat to not setuid the post_mkelem_trig.bat
file, this caused execution problems on HPUX systems.
- Fixed ToUnix.pl subroutine, adding binmode to output file
so carriage returns will not be added on writes.
- Fixed cut and paste error in Site_prep shell wrapper script.
Perl command needed to be all lower case letters.
- Added pre_one_checkout_trig to be attached to an element to
limit check out to one at a time and to prompt the user to
merge before making changes to element an run the xlsvtree
- Added edcs routines for UNIX which models NT view profiles.
- Changed pre ci message to identify user that is not allowed
to check into a branch.
- Fixed post mkelem trigger so that it would work on Solaris and
HPUX as a set uid process.
VERSION 3.0 -
- skipped to have release identifier track Clear releases.
VERSION 2.0 - January 10, 2000
- Modified VOB setup utilities to work on NT as well as UNIX systems.
- Modified Site_prep to work on NT as well as UNIX systems. For NT,
ActiveState Perl is required for the ClearCase administrator to
run the Site_prep process.
- Extracted makedepend utility from the X11R6 distribution and
created a non imake make file. Added this into the utilities
- Changed etc directory to utilities and added several utilities for
examples, some of which need modifying for site specific label
naming and branch name policies.
- Did some work on the checking log reports, but did not finish this
- Added Posix checksum software routines for both UNIX and NT.
- Now have three choices for doing scripted e-mail on NT platforms.
VERSION 2.0 Beta - July 10, 1999
- Fixed scripts so they work with file names that have spaces.
- Modified label and branch name subroutines so that it is easier to
add checking rules and to prompt the user with valid examples for
each. Also added a more meaningful label rule example.
- Added the setting of an environment variable for trigger
interaction and the checking of this variable to more triggers.
- Corrected some inaccurate comments.
- Post make label will now recursively look backwards for the first
non zero version of an element to put the label on if a zero
version is being labeled. If it gets to main zero it will remove
- Modified InstallAuthLists and UninstallAuthLists so they can be
run from an NT platform.
- Add GNU Copy Left term and conditions for distributing software.
- Developed and tested this release using Samba 2.0.3.
VERSION 1.0 - March 1, 1999
- Ported triggers to cross platform environment of NT/UNIX.
- Added site setup utilities for extracting process scripts from
- Developed and tested this release using a Network Appliance disk
Files that changed in release 4.1
New files in release 4.1
Files that changed in release 4.0 are